How to Deal with Regret

Copyright: <a href='http://www.123rf.com/profile_leventegyori'>leventegyori / 123RF Stock Photo</a>




The last time I felt a true sense of regret I was careening off the side of the road into a 30-foot ditch. For a split second I thought I might die.
That day there was a downpour, the road was collecting water, and, while I was going the speed limit, it was too fast for the conditions. I wanted to get to the next business destination.
Suddenly I could feel the car hydroplaning, and I struggled to keep the car straight. I’m guessing I kept the car on the road for 50 feet or so, before it caught enough ground to veer to the right, over the edge of the embankment.
I was eight weeks pregnant, and my daughter was 20 months old. It was a frightening experience, yet my feeling of fear paled in comparison to this powerful sense of regret.
Clear in my mind was the mistake I made (going too fast), and for one speeding moment it was possible I could take two lives and leave my daughter without a mom, and my husband without a wife.
Yet as quickly as I felt regret, it was replaced with relief. My car bottomed out in a wide ditch, nose down, but not excessively. I sat in the car, shaking, and made a few phone calls, then calmly got out and climbed to the edge of the road. I had lots of time to think, both at the edge of the road and for months afterwards.
It was in those months I realized regret is a wasted emotion. It is a draining, low-vibrating feeling based on action, which can’t be changed. As with any life altering moment, I’ve learned from it, and haven’t felt regret since that day. I hope you consider the effect regret may have in your life, and can take steps to eliminate it for good.
Regret. It almost always occurs when something wrong happens which you cannot fix. Webster’s Dictionary defines it as grief caused by the want or loss of something formerly possessed.
I believe regret goes even deeper than that. It is grief from the loss of something because you made a mistake. If you lose something, yet did everything right, you might feel anger, sadness, or frustration, but you won’t feel regret.
It is the irreversible mistake, which holds such power. Mistakes can include wrong words (or not communicating), careless behavior, or unthinking actions. Have you ever lost a relationship with a lover or friend? If you feel regret around it, you probably remember the mistakes you’ve made.
But that memory, and your feelings around it, can affect your happiness right now. Here are four lessons I’ve learned on how to deal with regret and the necessarily steps to overcome the experience of regret.

4 Lessons: How to Deal with Regret

1. Learn to Forgive

Regret happens when you don’t forgive yourself. When your mistake feels final, like going too fast on a highway, it is too easy to feel regret. However, forgiveness is a powerful catalyst, and is one of the most loving actions you can take for yourself. While regret holds you back in the past, forgiveness helps you to move forward.
Tell yourself, “That was part of who I was then. I didn’t know any better or I would have made a different choice. That mistake helped me to grow into who I am today. I forgive myself and resolve to move forward.” Believe what you tell yourself.

2. Let Go of Negative Feelings

Send negative feelings about your actions into the past, where the action occurred. They don’t do you any good now.
Visualize moving those pent-up feelings from your body back to the moment they occurred, with the more innocent version of yourself. (Here, you can forgive both yourself and those feelings.)

3. Find the Lessons

Ask yourself, “What can I learn from this?” When you make a mistake, there is ALWAYS something to learn.
Learning equals growth. It is more difficult to feel loss when your focus is on gain, and on bettering yourself.
My main lesson from my accident wasn’t simply to slow down; it was to listen to my intuition. It told me to slow down before I slid, but in my rush, I didn’t listen. I learned my lesson.

4. Letting Go of Old & Creating New

That person or thing you lost – what did it symbolize for you? What feeling did you enjoy (or wish to enjoy)?
Did your ex-spouse provide comfort and personal connection? Did a foreclosed house symbolize accomplishment and success for you?
Move feelings of comfort or success away from something in the past, and connect them to something new. Focus on new accomplishments and connections so you can move forward, away from memories, which no longer serve you.

Parting Words on Regret

The common thread in each of these lessons is to let go of the past, and create a better future. When you do this, there is no longer room for regret, for it serves no active purpose.
Concentrate on now. Put your passion into a new relationship, a new skill or a new adventure. Forgive yourself, learn from your mistakes, and move forward with a clear conscience.
What part of yourself will you forgive in order to move on?
What are your hopes and dreams? What part of them exists right now (the seed to them coming true)?

7 comments:

  1. If you have a minute, I’d really appreciate it if you took a look at Emily’s Virtual Rocket. This is a serious newsblog which has been taken from e-newspapers and e-magazines from around the world, with an emphasis on transgender issues. Also, with his election, I look for articles which critique Donald Trump.

    I hope you enjoy this. Please paste the following:

    Emilysvirtualrocket.blogspot.com

    If you like it, please consider putting it among your favorite blogs. I would greatly appreciate it.


    Emily

    ReplyDelete


  2. Hello and welcome to our valued customers with you شركة المهندس
    the best cleaning company in the eastern region offers many cleaning services in the news and jubail of cleaning homes villas apartments sofa beds carpet cabinets air conditioning swimming pools all cleaning services our company is keen on your lands always and brings to you everything new in the cleaning world شركة تنظيف منازل بالخبر
    One of the largest public cleaning companies in Al-Khobar provides you with cleaning services at the best and lowest possible price in cleaning a house. We also offer you a price list that suits you always and it is agreed to clean the house. If it is agreed, we will send workers to clean a house immediately. We also provide services. Another, which is شركة تنظيف منازل بالجبيل
    The Engineer for Home Cleaning in Jubail City offers everything new and exclusive in the world of cleanliness. House cleaning is very hard and tiring and it does not seem from a strong and reputable company to complete the cleaning of the house in the best possible way. You can contact us and we will reach you wherever you are keen on always Fulfill your request immediately, immediately

    ReplyDelete
  3. slot auto wallet web game slots Deposit-withdraw, True Wallet, no minimum, PG website, new online slots with fun games, easy to break slots that make a lot of money that you shouldn't miss right now

    ReplyDelete
  4. สุดยอดเว็บ Thai PG Slot ไทยอยู่ในคลังข้อมูลของฉัน แต่คุณสามารถตรวจสอบเว็บไซต์หรือแพลตฟอร์มออนไลน์ต่าง ๆ ที่มีการเสนอเกมสล็อต PG SLOT ไทยได้ เพื่อค้นหาและเลือกเล่น

    ReplyDelete